Read about different genes that are linked to hereditary cancer, their associated risks and guidelines for screening, preventing and treating cancers in people with inherited mutations in these genes.
General information for people with inherited CDKN2A mutations
Both men and women can carry a mutation in the CDKN2A gene. The gene makes more than one protein and inherited mutations in the gene are named according to the protein affected by the mutation.
- Mutations in CDKN2A (p16INK4a) is associated with a syndrome sometimes called Familial Atypical Mole/ Multiple Melanoma (FAMMM) + Pancreatic Cancer.
- Mutations in CDKN2A (p14ARF) can increase the risk for melanoma.
People with an inherited mutation in CDKN2A have increased risk for certain cancers. See the Cancer Risk section for more information.
There are guidelines for cancer screening and prevention in people with an CDKN2A mutation. There also may be clinical trials available for people with an inherited CDKN2A mutation. See our Risk Management section for more information about screening options in people with CDKN2A mutations.
People with an inherited CDKN2A mutation who have been diagnosed with cancer may qualify for specific treatment or clinical trials. Visit the Cancer Treatment section for more information about clinical trials for people with a CDKN2A mutation.
The name CDKN2A stands for "Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor 2A." The gene provides instructions for making several tumor suppressor proteins. The CDKN2A gene is located on chromosome 9.
FORCE offers many peer support programs for people with inherited mutations.
- Our Message Boards allow people to connect with others who share their situation. Once registered, you can post on the Diagnosed With Cancer board to connect with other people who have been diagnosed.
- Our Peer Navigation Program will match you with a volunteer who shares your mutation and situation.
- Our moderated, private Facebook group allows you to connect with other community members 24/7.
- Check out our virtual and in-person support meeting calendar.
- Join one of our Zoom community group meetings.