Read about different genes that are linked to hereditary cancer, their associated risks and guidelines for screening, preventing and treating cancers in people with inherited mutations in these genes.
Cancer risk associated with inherited mutations
If you have tested positive for an mutation, we recommend speaking with a genetics expert who can look at your personal and family history of cancer, and can help you decide on the best risk management plan.
|Cancer type||Lifetime risk with for people with mutation||Lifetime risk for people in general population||Average age of diagnosis for people with mutation||Average age of diagnosis for people in the general population|
|Colorectal||33 - 52%||4.2%||44 years||68 - 72 years|
|Endometrial||21 - 57%||3.1%||47 - 48 years||60 years|
|Ovarian||8 - 38%||1.3%||43 years||63 years|
|Kidney/ureter||2.2 - 28%||unknown||54 - 61 years||Not specified|
|Bladder||4.4 - 12.8%||2.4%||59 years||73 years|
|Gastric||0.2 - 9%||0.9%||52 years||68 years|
|Small bowel||1.1 - 10%||0.3%||48 years||60s - 70s|
|3.9 - 23.8%||11.6%||59 - 63 years||66 years|
|Brain||2.5 - 7.7%||0.6%||No data||59 years|
|Biliary tract||.02 - 1.7%||0.2%||57 years||70 - 72 year|
People with an inherited mutation may have an increased risk for other cancers. The exact risks for the following cancers are unknown:
- pancreatic cancer
- sebaceous skin growths
- female breast cancer
Research on how inherited mutations in the gene affect cancer risk is ongoing.
FORCE offers many peer support programs for people with inherited mutations.
- Our Message Boards allow people to connect with others who share their situation. Once you register, you can post on the Diagnosed With Cancer board to connect with other people who have been diagnosed.
- Our Peer Navigation Program will match you with a volunteer who shares your mutation and situation.
- Our moderated, private Facebook group allows you to connect with other community members 24/7.
- Check out our virtual and in-person support meeting calendar.
- Join one of our Zoom community group meeting:
- Meetings in American Sign Language
- Meetings in Spanish
- People of Color
- Young Previvors
- Young Survivors