Genetic testing benefits for people diagnosed with breast cancer
If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, genetic testing may provide the following information and benefit:
- If you have metastatic breast cancer and test positive for a BRCA mutation, you may be eligible for treatment with a targeted therapy (e.g., Lynparza or Talzenna).
- If you have been diagnosed with earlier stage cancer, testing may effect your treatment decisions such as choice of surgery or chemotherapy.
- Test results may make you eligible for certain clinical trials and research studies.
- The test can help you understand your risk for a new cancer diagnosis and options for managing your risk.
- Test results can help your relatives understand their risk for cancer and take actions to stay healthy.