Acupuncture may ease breast cancer treatment side effects
Full article: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/acm.2021.0133?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub++0pubmed
Acupuncture can ease some symptoms of breast cancer treatment. Multiple studies found that acupuncture is a safe and effective strategy to manage certain symptoms but also called for more rigorous research on the topic. (Posted 9/28/22) Este artículo está disponible en español.
Questions To Ask Your Health Care Provider
- Do you offer acupuncture at this clinic, cancer center or hospital? If not, where do you reccommend I go to receive treatment?
- Will my insurance cover the cost of acupuncture?
- Could acupuncture help ease the symptoms I am experiencing from hormone therapy, such as pain, fatigue, hot flashes, depression or neuropathy?
Open Clinical Trials
The following studies are looking at management of side effects:
- NCT04533763: Living WELL: A Web-Based Program for Ovarian Cancer Survivors. This studies a group-based and web-delivered tool for ovarian cancer survivors in increasing quality of life and decreasing stress, depressive mood, anxiety, and fatigue across a 12-month period.
- NCT05047926: Prehabilitation for Advanced Ovarian Cancer Patients. Prehabilitation may improve peri-operative outcomes in patients undergoing cancer surgery. This study will look at structured activity for women undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy to improve their physical state prior to surgical intervention and thus improve outcomes.
The following organizations have resources related to treatment side effects.
The following are studies on menopause and menopause management for survivors and previvors:
The following resources can help you locate an expert near you.
Finding integrative care experts
Other ways to find experts
FORCE is a national nonprofit organization, established in 1999. Our mission is to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by adult hereditary cancers.