Hollywood on Board
- Hollywood on Board
- Joining FORCEs 2014
- New BRCA Decision Tool
- Fertility, Reproduction, Menopause
- Updates from the Basser Research Center for BRCA
- Research Studies of Interest for the HBOC Community
- Challenges to Hereditary Cancer Research
- Voices of FORCE
- Exercise for Previvors and Survivors
- What's New @ FORCE
New Feature Film Gets the BRCA Story Right
by Sue Friedman
FORCE collaborated with producers and directors to bring Decoding Annie Parker, a major Hollywood motion picture, to five cities across the United States. In July, we kicked off the tour with a screening to a sold-out crowd in Chicago. Then in September we hosted another sold-out show at the Directors Guild of America Theatre in Los Angeles. The following month we celebrated HBOC week with a preview in the Washington, D.C. area and publicized National Previvor Day with an event in Philadelphia, concluding in Palm Beach. From theatre to theatre, audiences responded with tears but also laughter as the film brought comic relief and realistically touched on every aspect of life and HBOC. After the screenings, a panel of genetics and cancer experts accompanied by Steven Bernstein, the film’s writer/director, and Annie Parker, the film’s inspiration, addressed questions about HBOC, hereditary cancer, and the history and future of genetics in medicine.
With solid performances by acting luminaries Helen Hunt, Samantha Morton, Aaron Paul, Rashida Jones and Bradley Whitford, the film is based on the true story of Annie Parker and Dr. Mary Claire King, individuals who have both been touched by hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. Annie Parker battles the disease that took the lives of her mother and her sister, and Dr. King is the geneticist whose research led to the discovery of the BRCA1 breast cancer gene.
Decoding Annie Parker is an educational, inspiring, and entertaining film that hits close to home for our community, as so many of us are just like Annie Parker and can draw strength from her story.
Our Screening Tour Sponsors Made It Happen!
We are very grateful for the many sponsors who made our national screening tour of Decoding Annie Parker possible!
- The Lillian Byer HBOC Fund
- Brocade Study
- The Allergan Foundation
- Basser Research Center for BRCA
- Atossa Genetics, Inc.
- USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Inova Health Systems
- NorthShore University Health System WUSA9
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Jupiter Medical Center
- UCLA Jonsson Cancer Center
- C Spot Run Productions
- Sisco Berluti
- The Cole Family
- Rock Creek Property Group
- Jefferson Kimmel Cancer Center
- Florida Cancer Specialists
- Ambry Genetics
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Primary Care Psychology Associates
- Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center
- Santa Monica Fertility
- The Snyder Family
- John A.P. Rimmer, MD
- The Fisher Center at Georgetown Hospital
- Washington Radiology Associates, PC
- Carey Cullinane, MD
- Daniel B. Karchem and Francine Raizes
- Ora Karp Gordon, MD
- Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, PA
Disclaimer: Health links are made available for educational purposes only. This information should not be interpreted as medical advice. All health information should be discussed with your health care provider. Please read our full disclaimer for more information.
This site has been made possible by a generous grant from Morphotek.