- While this study shows an interesting association between breast cancer risk and breastfeeding, more work needs to be done to confirm this finding.
- While this is a very relevant topic for women, this study also did not take into account ethnicity, income or race.
- There are many benefits to breastfeeding. Even without proof that breastfeeding lowers the risk for these breast cancers, it is further evidence that women should breastfeed their babies if possible.
Scientific Strength: Medium-Low
- This research study was a meta-analysis, which means that the researchers pooled together data from many other studies and did not establish their own study design.
- Researchers do not know why breastfeeding was associated with a lower breast cancer risks for certain subtypes and not others.
- Only a small subset of the studies looked at the associated of triple-negative breast cancer and breast feeding.