- This article is the cancer story of a BRCA2 mutation carrier and her father.
- The focus of the article is more about pancreatic cancer than breast cancer.
- The utility of information for pancreatic cancer risk is indirect because there are no clear guidelines for pancreatic cancer screening.
- This article applies to individuals with a BRCA2 mutation and is less generalizable to all hereditary cancer mutation carriers.
- The discussion of treatment for metastatic pancreatic cancer involves therapies in clinical trials which, though promising, are not ready for broad clinical use.
Writing Quality: High
- This is a well-written memoir of a woman and her father's cancer journey as BRCA2 mutation carriers. This is a personal account that is easy and compelling to read.
- The author is a breast cancer surgeon who accurately conveys the science underlying her breast cancer and the pancreatic cancer of her father.
- As a memoir, this article uses no outside sources. The author does convey a balanced perspective on the state of the field.