New York Times: More cases are reported of unusual cancer linked to breast implants
Rating: 5.0 Stars
- The title and lede of this article are accurate.
- This is an exceptionally well researched and sourced article.
- All facts discussed are accurate and presented in a way that is easily understandable by lay readers.
- The author is careful to discuss important nuances between the prior report and the update.
Today.com: ‘I was shocked’: Woman fights rare cancer linked to breast implants
Rating: 4.0 Stars
- While the title of the article is accurate, the lede is likely shocking and misleading particularly for women who have breast implants. While it is true that hundreds (414) of BIA-ALCL reports have been made to the FDA, they have been collected over 6 years (since 2011).
- The article includes the story and journey of a woman who developed BIA-ALCL. The author importantly points out that the woman featured chose breast implants for cosmetic reasons.
- All facts are correct and presented well for lay readers.
- The article includes comments by a researcher who is studying the link between breast implants and ALCL.