Healthline: More women with breast cancer opting for nipple-sparing mastectomies
Rating: 5.0 Stars
- This was well-written, easy-to-read media article that included several outside sources.
- The article also includes a patient and her perspectives on choosing NSM.
- The data was presented accurately.
- There was a nice discussion on cosmetic benefit, who is eligible and who is not eligible for NSM, and what could go wrong with NSM.
US News and World Report: 'Nipple-sparing' mastectomies don't raise odds of cancer's return: study
Rating: 4.0 Stars
- The headline clearly describes the research study and its results.
- This was an easy to read media article that included outside sources.
- While there is no link to the original article, there is a link to additional information on breast surgery.
Bel Marra Health: Study finds low rate of breast cancer recurrence after nipple-sparing mastectomy
Rating: 3.0 Stars
- The title of the media article was clear and was not misleading
- This was a very brief media article with no outside sources and no interview of the study researchers.
- The statement, “…most doctors are hesitant to perform them as there has not previously been much research comparing their recurrence rates to standard mastectomies” is misleading. Many surgeons today are willing to perform NSMs for their patients provided they meet certain criteria.
- There are no links to the original research study.