Rating: 4.5 Stars
- The title is very descriptive and is focused on the ethical implications of the topic. However, the author does not mention or define the actual test name, PGD, until well into the article.
- The author takes care to include differing viewpoints on the ethical dilemmas of PGD, including guidelines in US versus other parts of the world.
- This is a thoroughly discussed example of a couple who underwent PGD. Importantly, the article clearly explained the thought process the couple went through once it was known that the embryo also carried a BRCA1 mutation.
- Sourcing is excellent including links to recent recent articles providing guidelines for consumers and practitioners on PGD.
- The article could have been strengthened with the addition of comments from a genetic counselor from an IVF clinic.