- There are many inaccuracies in this story which makes is less relevant for YBCS. The research discussed is not published and at early stages of development. Clinical trials on the vaccine discussed had not been done in humans at the time of publication. It may be a long time before this particular vaccine is available clinically if at all.
Quality of Writing: Medium-Low
- There was no interview with an independent researcher and no mention of any published peer-reviewed data.
- While the headline does match the story, the lede exaggerates the story. Prevention of cancer has been at the forefront of research for a very long time. The report states that “development of a breast cancer vaccine is the most ‘transformative health initiative of all time.’” However, there are others who are also trying to develop cancer vaccines and one that is currently in use to prevent cervical cancer.
- The reporter overestimates lifetime breast cancer risks for BRCA. Research suggests lower lifetime risks than reported in this story and distinguishes differences in lifetime risks between BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.
Research Timeline: Animal Research
- There is not published research on this vaccine. There are no human trials currently with this vaccine.