FDA asks Allergan to recall certain textured breast implants
Full article: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/fda-takes-action-protect-patients-risk-certain-textured-breast-implants-requests-allergan
On July 25, 2019, the Food and Drug Administration requested that breast implant manufacturer Allergan recall its BIOCELL textured implants and expanders due to an association with a rare type of lymphoma called Breast Implant Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma or BIA-ALCL. The FDA does not recommend removing implants for people who do not have disease symptoms. This XRAYS review updates information about this FDA recall. (7/29/19)
Questions To Ask Your Health Care Provider
- What are the pros and cons of breast implants?
- What are the pros and cons of textured and smooth breast implants?
- What are the BIA-ALCL symptoms that I should be aware of after I get breast implants?
- I had surgery years ago. How can I find out what type of implants I have?
- I have BIOCELL implants, what are the pros and cons of having them removed?
- I have BIOCELL implants and want to have them removed, will my insurance pay for it?
- What breast reconstruction options do not involve implants?
- What factors should I consider when deciding between different breast reconstruction options?
- What type of follow up should I have after mastectomy and reconstruction? Should I have breast MRI? If so, how frequently? Will my insurance pay for these follow-ups?
FORCE is a national nonprofit organization, established in 1999. Our mission is to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by adult hereditary cancers.