FDA updates report on risk of lymphoma from breast implants
Full article: https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm239995.htm
Note: On 07/25/19, the FDA announced a recall of Allergan BIOCELL textured implants and expanders, due to their association with BIA-ALCL.
In March 2017, the Food and Drug Administration reported that patients with breast implants may be at increased risk for a rare type of lymphoma. This was covered in a previous XRAYS review. The FDA has continued to collect data since the first reported association in 2011. Recently, the agency released an update on the number of reported cases of breast implant-associated lymphoma and lifetime risk estimates for women with textured breast implants. (04/02/18)
Questions To Ask Your Health Care Provider
- What are the pros and cons of breast implants?
- What are the pros and cons of textured and smooth breast implants?
- What symptoms should I look for after I get breast implants?
- What options for breast reconstruction do not involve implants?
- What factors should I consider when deciding between different breast reconstruction options?
- I am considering/have had a risk-reducing prophylactic mastectomy with breast implants. Should I be worried about developing BIA-ALCL?
- Should I have breast MRI after mastectomy and reconstruction with implants? If so, how frequently?
FORCE is a national nonprofit organization, established in 1999. Our mission is to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by adult hereditary cancers.