Insurance companies are more than curious about your genetic test results
Full article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-you-have-doomsday-genes/
An article on CBSNews.com addressed why insurance companies, particularly long-term insurance companies, might want to know which of their policy holders and potential policy holders have a gene that raises their risk for cancer. The article discusses genetic discrimination by insurance companies that provide long term care policies. Federal laws protect people with gene mutations from discrimination in health insurance. No such federal laws exist for life insurance, disability insurance or long term care. (3/13/18)
Questions To Ask Your Health Care Provider
- Will my insurance company have access to my genetic test results?
- Can you refer me to a genetics expert?
- Does our state have additional laws against genetic discrimination?
- I'm considering genetic testing, should I consider purchasing life, disability or long-term care insurance?
- I'm considering genetic testing, should my children or other relatives consider purchasing life, disability or long-term care insurance?
- Can you refer me to a genetic counselor?
FORCE is a national nonprofit organization, established in 1999. Our mission is to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by adult hereditary cancers.