Spirit of Empowerment Awards 2016
Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered (FORCE) presents its annual Spirit of Empowerment awards to recognize the contributions of individuals and organizations that help us educate and support the hereditary breast and ovarian cancer community.
- Individual Commitment: Jennifer and Glenn Cole
- Individual Commitment: Linee Zajic
- Corporate: BFFL Co.
- Media: Alan Blassberg
- Research: Judy E. Garber, MD, MPH, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Advocacy: National Society of Genetic Counselors
- Research: Dr. Alan Ashworth
- Individual Commitment: Tara Freundlich
- Advocacy: Ovarian Cancer National Alliance
- Advocacy: Amy Cohen Epstein
- Advocacy: Lisa Cohen
- Arts & Media: Stacey Sager
- Arts & Media: Kara DioGuardi
- Arts & Media: Annie Parker
- Individual Commitment: Kate Downey Berges
- Indivdual Commitment: Karen Hurley, PhD
- Corporate Committment: Sisco + Berluti
- Research: Mark H. Greene, MD
- Advocacy: Sharon Terry, President and CEO of the Genetic Alliance
- Advocacy: American Civil Liberties Union organized the successful challenge of Myriad's gene patents.
- Arts & Media: Dina Roth Port, award-winning freelance writer, journalist, and author.
- Arts & Media: Joi Morris, author of Positive Results.
- Individual Commitment: The Byer Family
- Research: Steven Narod, MD, Tier I Canada Research Chair in Breast Cancer and a senior scientist at Women's College Research Institute.
- Arts & Media: Kathy Steligo, author of the Breast Reconstruction Guidebook, and editor of Joining FORCEs newsletter.
- Advocacy: Komen for the Cure, for the impact of their advocacy work on the lives of people facing hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
- Advocacy: Ellen Matloff, MS, genetic counselor and director of Yale Cancer Center Genetic Counseling Program and plaintiff in the ACLU patent lawsuit.
- Corporate Commitment: Tiny Little T Shirt Company
- Individual Commitment: Dara & Molly Marias & Myron Caplan, The Butterfly Project
- Research: Dr. Francis Collins
The inaugural Spirit of Empowerment awards were presented at the 5th Annual Joining FORCEs Conference in Orlando, FL. Recipients for the inaugural award were:
- Arts & Media: Joanna Rudnick, Producer & Director, In the Family
- Research: Timothy R. Rebbeck, Ph.D., Cancer Center Genetics, Epidemiology and Risk Reduction Program at Abramson Cancer Center in Philadelphia, PA
- Advocacy: Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz
- Corporate Commitment: Enell, Inc.
- Individual Commitment: Michael Sosin