Need a reason to attend this year’s Joining FORCEs Conference? Here are 15 good ones:
- It’s the largest annual gathering by and for the hereditary cancer community. Be a part of this landmark event.
- We make the latest science understandable and accessible. Hear experts clearly explain the science of hereditary cancer and make the latest research and medical options understandable and accessible no matter where you are in the HBOC journey.
- We cover every aspect of HBOC. View our agenda to see a complete list of the 48 separate lectures, workshops and networking sessions.
- Sessions are organized to help you find the information you most need. Our conference content is aligned into tracks that focus on different groups. View a list of suggested sessions based on your specific situation.
- We bring researchers to you. You’ll hear the latest scientific findings presented first-hand by world-class experts, and have the unprecedented opportunity to speak one-on-one with researchers about your own pressing issues.
- Benefit from the experience of others. Meet, chat and bond with hundreds of others who share your concerns. Hear the poignant personal stories of people just like you who have faced hereditary cancer. Talk face-to-face with your virtual friends who have supported you on Facebook or the FORCE message boards. Build relationships that will last a lifetime.
- See and hear about women’s real post-mastectomy surgical results. If you’re considering your surgical options, visit our Show & Tell room to chat with women who have already undergone mastectomy. Every type of reconstruction and mastectomy without reconstruction is showcased. Meet and speak with plastic surgeons who perform these surgeries, and Kathy Steligo, author of The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook. Participate in our photo shoot to help other women make decisions about surgery.
- Gain information and support to help make important health care decisions. Learn the latest information, guidelines, and emerging science to help you overcome one of the biggest challenges of living with HBOC: sorting through medical options so that you can make health care decisions that are right for you. From risk-management to fertility options, from emerging tools for cancer detection to long-term survivorship issues, from hormone replacement to enrolling in a clinical trial, our conference sessions will help you make decisions with the most up-to-date information.
- Enroll in research. Make a difference. Learn about and enroll in studies that will offer better answers for ourselves and future generations.
- Give back to the community by volunteering. Learn about FORCE volunteer opportunities and meet our volunteer team.
- Meet our Spirit of Empowerment Award winners. Every year we honor people who contribute to the HBOC community and support the work of FORCE. This year we honor cancer survivor Annie Parker, whose personal struggle with hereditary cancer is the basis for the Hollywood film, Decoding Annie Parker; Kara DioGuardi, GRAMMY-nominated songwriter, previvor and former American Idol judge; Stacey Sager, Channel 7 Eyewitness News reporter and two-time cancer survivor; the sister team of Sisco Berluti Jewelry, and others.
- Bond with family members. Sharing the conference with family members is a unique bonding experience that will help your loved ones to better understand your choices, and empower them to make their own informed health care decisions.
Enjoy the new venue. Located in the heart of Philadelphia, our conference site offers many amenities and is within walking distance to downtown dining, shop
ping and attractions, including Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. The conference offers great food, relaxation, opportunities to decompress, express yourself and play.
- Get fit, reclaim your health and well-being. Learn how you can make choices for a happier, healthier life. Sessions about exercise, nutrition, and integrative medicine provide information on living a healthy lifestyle. Improve your flexibility with yoga or try a heart-pumping Zumba workout. Attend the sexuality session or one of our “GirlsNight In” parties and reclaim your mojo.
- Celebrate FORCE’s 15th Anniversary. Help us blow out the candles and share birthday cake as we celebrate 15 years of fighting on behalf of the HBOC community.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those who would most benefit from attending but require financial support in order to participate. Visit our scholarship page to donate or apply.
See you in Philadelphia!Tags: brca, BRCA 1, BRCA 2, brca research, brca testing, BRCA1, BRCA2, breast cancer, breast cancer early detection, breast cancer prevention, cancer prevention, facing our risk, facingourrisk, FORCE, gene testing, Genetic counseling, HBOC, hereditary cancer, hereditary cancer research, oophorectomy, previvor, previvor;pre-vivor;high-risk;breast cancer risk;ovarian, prophylactic mastectomy, prostate cancer, screening and prevention, survivor, young survivor